BLOOMSBURG SHADE TREE COMMISSION
The Town of Bloomsburg Town Council established the Shade Tree Commission in 1987.
Since then, the Commission has made it their mission to plant trees that add to the tree canopy and enhance the beauty of the Town of Bloomsburg. The Bloomsburg Shade Tree Commission has been recognized as a member of the Tree City USA Organization for the past 25 years.
Town Council bestowed upon the Commission the responsibility of providing permits, rules and regulations for annual plantings, maintenance, protection and removal of trees in the public right-of-way for public health, safety and welfare.
Streetside trees are part of the Town’s infrastructure. They reduce heat stress on asphalt and concrete, which slows down the need for replacement. These trees also intercept rain and storm water, reducing pressure on sewer systems and reducing soil erosion.
301 E. Second Street
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Contact: Lisa Dooley
Phone: (570) 784-7123, ext. 123
Fax: (570) 784-1518
Sylvia Costa, Chair (Term expires: 12/31/23)
Virginia Thorne (Term expires: 12/31/21)
John Hintz (Term expires: 12/31/22)
Pamela Donovan (Term expires: 12/31/20)
Janine Penman (Term expires: 12/31/24)
Meetings are held the third Thursday of each month at 3:30 p.m. at Town Hall on the second floor. Please contact Bobbi prior to attending.
2021 Meeting Dates: Jan. 21, Feb. 18, March 18, April 15, May 20, June 17, July 15, Aug. 19, Sept. 16, Oct. 21, Nov. 18, Dec. 16.
REGULATIONS TO KNOW:
The Shade Tree Ordinance requires property owners to plant and maintain street trees in the right of way (Chapter 25 of the Code of Ordinances).
Property owners’ responsibilities include keeping their street trees healthy, removing sick or dead ones, and replacing any they remove with appropriate size and species. These regulations also apply during construction and sidewalk replacement.
Planting, pruning, removing or cutting a street tree requires a free permit, available at the Town Hall or below. A permit is required if trees will be affected by construction and if roots will be disturbed for pipe or sidewalk work. Once your application is received at Town Hall, Commission Members will make their determination within seven days.
Street trees must be chosen from among the tree species approved for use as street trees in Bloomsburg. The list of trees approved for Downtown is more limited than the list for residential streets. (You can plant whatever tree you like in your yard.)
- Shade Tree Permit Application (PDF) – fill out and return to Bobbi Erlston at Town Hall
- Shade Tree Ordinance (PDF)
- Approved List of Trees Suitable for Street Planting (PDF)
- Pruning Landscape Trees Brochure (PDF)
- Planting and After Care of Community Trees Brochure (PDF)
- A Guide to Preserving Trees in Development Projects (PDF)
- 5 Reasons to STOP Topping Trees (PDF)
- Tree Owner’s Manual (PDF)
- ANIS A300 Pruning (PDF)
- National Tree Benefit Calculator
- i-Tree Design
- Call 8-1-1 Before You Dig!
- Tree Care Tips
- PA Trees – The place to learn about Pennsylvania’s trees, how to care for them and tap into tree expertise across the Commonwealth
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- PA DCNR Forestry
- Penn State Cooperative Extension
- Penn State Woody Ornamental Pest Guide
- Cornell Urban Horticulture Institute
- USDA Forest Service Urban Forestry
- Trees Are Good
- PA BIG Tree