If you are looking for vacant property listings in the downtown area please use this link.
Welcome home. We appreciate your investment into the Town of Bloomsburg! To get started on your journey, please call 570-784-7123, option 1 to speak with someone in the Code Enforcement Department. We are happy to assist you in making your dream a reality! To speed up the process before calling you can simply log on to https://bloomsburg.portal.iworq.net/portalhome/bloomsburg and fill out the Building/Zoning/Shade Tree application. Please make sure to note that you are opening or relocating a business. The document is available online as shown above or in our office located at 301 E. 2nd Street. Please call ahead to schedule an appointment.
Feel free to review the resources and links on the right-hand side of this page. This section of our website is designed to help you navigate the process of opening a business in our community. Here are some helpful tips to keep in mind:
- Contact the Bloomsburg Code Enforcement Department at 570-784-7123, option 1 to determine if your business will need the following:
- Building Permit
- What will you be doing to the space before you move in? If you will be doing wallpaper, painting or tiling you do not need a building permit. If you will be constructing, demolishing or altering structural components including windows, doors, doorways, bathrooms you will need a building permit. Some permits may need to be approved by the Historical Architecture Review Board (HARB).
- Zoning Permit
- It is important to make sure that the business you are interested in opening in the Town of Bloomsburg is a permitted use in the district you are planning to open it in. Otherwise you may need to go before the Zoning Hearing Board to request a variance.
- Sign Permit
- If you are placing a sign up to advertise your business, you will need a sign permit. Please contact the Code Office before you create your sign to ensure that your sign will be approved. Some signs will also need to be approved by HARB (Historical Architecture Review Board) depending on the district that your business is located in.
- Building Permit
- Contact the Chamber of Commerce, (570) 784-2522, to learn about the opportunities that may be available for your business (available retail spaces, small business loans, etc.)
- Contact the Small Business Development Center.
- Contact the Downtown Bloomsburg, Inc., (570) 784-2522, if you are considering opening a business in Downtown Bloomsburg (right-of-way obstruction guidelines, available retail spaces, upcoming events, etc.)